Each year I set goals for the year to come and share them on my blog here. At the end of each year I assess how well I did in accomplishing my goals and set new ones. It’s an important thing for me, this setting and sharing of goals. Setting them and having them written down in concrete language really helps me regain my focus when I lose it (which is often), evaluate progress, get things done and also, look back over time and see a bigger picture of things I’ve accomplished. Sharing them on my blog here with you is equally important because it provides a sense of accountability which can be a huge motivation at times when I need it most.
Over the past couple years my goal lists have grown and grown becoming quite long and complicated. So, too, has my career when you count in the things I don’t talk about here (such as freelance work and ghostwriting). It was kind of beginning to feel overwhelming, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what I’m going for so I think it’s time to simplify a wee bit. Thus…
My Goals for 2016
- Speed up my blog/website
- Write the Haunted Hospitals book with Mark Leslie.
- I’ve begun working on this in February. My goal is to have the first draft of my contribution done by the end of April. I’ve never written anything like this before though, so I’m unsure how reasonable this goal is.
- Announce D is for… anthology and prepare it for an early 2017 release
- Release C is for Chimera on April 19th
- Promote it sufficiently to break the sales numbers for A is for Apocalypse (based on the first three months after release)
- Release Sirens (July?)
- Promote it sufficiently to break the earn out its advance within the first year. Bonus points if it’s in the first six months.
- Attend the ‘Despite Excuses’ writing retreat in California this July
- Take August off. With the exception of attending When Words Collide… which is work but also isn’t :-p
- Write the first draft of Deadmonton (My Winterknight Towers book), beginning in November and using NaNoWriMo as a springboard to get started
- Hire an editor for Shadows and prep it for release
- Host a December blog tour to celebrate the holidays and benefit the food bank.
I’ve also got several projects that are pending or in limbo right now including a brand new anthology series (Keep your fingers crossed for this one, especially!), three stand-alone anthologies I’d be co-editing (with three different people) and two collaborative poetry projects. I’ve deliberately built some empty spaces into my project calendar for the year to address these projects. Also, you just never know when I’m going to be distracted by something shiny and need to take a little detour for a while 😉