The release date for B is for Broken is inching steadily nearer which means it’s time for me to start thinking of something fun to do to celebrate that launch. Obviously, I wanted to stick with the theme of ‘broken’ and I thought, you know what could be fun? Broken stories.
Have you heard of exquisite corpses? I bet you have, though possibly not by that name. It’s the game where people take turn writing parts of a story without knowing all of what came before. The resulting stories tend to be surreal and disjointed…broken, one might say 😉
I want to write some broken stories, but I’ll need your help.
My plan is simple:
- Gather participants (that’s what this blog post is for)
- If there are more than a handful, divide them into groups of approximately equal size
- Send the first person in each group a short opening paragraph
- Give that participant 3 days to write their contribution to the story (one short paragraph of no more than seven sentences) and send it back to me
- Send the next person on the list the paragraph the person before them wrote and nothing more of the story. They will only know the paragraph immediately before their own.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until we’ve reached the end of the list.
- Compile each ‘broken’ story and share them (giving full credit to each participant) as a part of the launch celebrations for B is for Broken
Want to join in? Just sign up using the contact form below. I will keep sign-ups open until about the 25th, but may actually begin the writing process before then, because why not? 🙂
Keep in mind — this is just for fun. No one is going to judge you, we’re just looking to have a good time. No matter your skill level or genre of writing you can join in, and if you really want you can participate anonymously. Because fun![contact-form subject=’Broken Stories’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]
I can’t do this without you, so to thank you for considering joining in the game I’ve even offered a sneak peek at some of the interior art for B is for Broken by Tory Hoke (above) 🙂